Welcome to 510 Fruits

510 Fruits came into existence because I love fruit and foraging and jam making. I love the bounty of seasonal produce and I came to love canning and jam making when I learned how hard it is to actually use all the fruit from a tree when it ripens. After processing my own backyard fruit, I began to see fruit everywhere I went. Thus the initiation into forage. Foraging in my neighborhood has taught me about the often overlooked bounty of our streets and backyards and has been a great way to meet neighbors, build community, and more efficiently share in the season's offerings.

As my love of fruit and jam has become an obsession, the stack of jam in my house has grown to waist high and wobbly. I realized I needed a way to get the jam out of my house as fast as I seem to be making it. Thus 510 Fruits and this attempt to share the variety of locally foraged and harvested fruits I have made into jams, marmalades, fruit butters and canned. Selling is not about making money, but just about covering the cost of jars and ingredients so that I can go on making more jam.

On the label, the byline "local forage" means the fruit is foraged from my yard, friends' and neighbors' yards, and streetside. The byline "local harvest" means I picked the produce at a local u-pick farm. Names also include more specific information, usually the street name of where the fruit originated.


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

510 Fruits is back up and running

After a few quiet months, jam-making has once again become a weekly event at my house and as the jars are starting to take over both kitchen and dining room, it is time for a shout out to jam lovers everywhere to come and get some!


I've currently got about 10 different variations on stone fruit and berries. See the complete list on the right. I'll keep it updated as I add new flavors and/or sell out. (Hopefully I won't sell out in a week like last time!)


2 comments:

  1. Sonya! I wish i'd known about your jamming & canning enterprise while our plum tree was producing! I offered around to a few neighbors, but much of our 'crop' went to waste... You are cordially invited to forage in our back yard next year. In the meantime, I'll be sure to come by sometime soon to check out your apricot & ollalaberry bounty.
    -your across the street neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ros!! Come by anytime. I'll happily transform your plums into delicious-ness in jars next season.

    ReplyDelete